Sunday, January 29, 2017

To my husband's first wife

Dear Lillian,

I know it must have been a heart-wrenching experience to hear your love’s affirmative “yes.” I know that spark of hope, the spark of reuniting, was dashed as soon as it came. How quickly an embrace of exultation can become tainted. It must have repressed any hopes you ever had of living in marital bliss and of reuniting with your long-lost husband. For that I am truly sorry, for I cannot imagine how much that hurts. Words cannot express the anguish that I feel for you.

If it is any consolation, any at all, I know my husband still loves you. I will never forget the mournful, haunted sheen in his eyes as he told me how his wife was ripped from his warm embrace by the claws of slavery. I have also known those cruel clutches, and though I have been free for many years now, I still wake up every morning rejoicing. I know we probably share many of the same feelings and experiences, and I’m hoping that the strength of our similarities can overcome any tensions between us. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I love your husband very much. I vow to be faithful to him, for his sake as well as yours.

Thank you so much for your graciousness.

Sincerely,

The Second Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment