Monday, January 23, 2017

My Sister

My Sister,

Isn’t it strange that you have to go on without me? We’ve never been apart before, but there are first times. From the very beginning, I was right there next to you. My mother was as familiar to you as she was to me. We shared the moments of nutrition between mother and daughter so no one was surprised that we shared just about every other aspect of life. You and I both knew that our bond would have been frowned upon by the rest of the world, but that was one care we didn’t have. We had each other instead.
I was your servant little sister. It took many years before we realized we could be sisters only when they weren’t looking. I really think if we had been born in a different time and place I would not have been your servant. We would have been friends, real sisters. Maybe not. If my mother were free of your mother, you would be free of me. Maybe there isn’t a point in thinking about a life other than the one we lived. I don’t have a life to live anymore so I have time to think about these things. You don’t have that time though. You have to protect my children.
You promised me they wouldn’t see the harm this world tried to show me. You promised to show them the love I wouldn’t be able to. I never asked you for anything little sister, it wasn’t my place. As close as we were, as much love as we shared, I was still your servant. Linda and William can’t know how horrible this world actually is. I need you to keep that from them. My time is running out so I’m begging you to do this one favor for me. Show my children the love and kindness you showed me. Save them. Give Linda and William the freedom I didn’t get to taste until it was too late.


Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment