Monday, January 23, 2017

An apology letter

Ms. Sojourner Truth,

First, I would like to note that I recognize the irony of this letter, as it is in written form. However, I have no doubt that you will find someone to read it to you. It was an honor to meet you at Northampton and the conversations we had there have given me much to think about. I am ashamed to admit that I originally dismissed you as unserious. I was appalled by your lack of interest in educating and furthering yourself. I believed that as a former slave and leader it was your duty to become educated, so to improve the lives of our people. You have the ability to learn to read and write, while so many do not. I was shocked that someone as bright as yourself would turn down such an opportunity. I would like to extend an apology to you, Ms. Truth. I was surprised at your reluctance, and then a bit insulted. It felt to me that by refusing literacy, you were denouncing my own work. I see now that is not the case. You will have your way, and I will have mine. I will admit I was even a bit intimidated, you possess a wit and power that goes beyond words on a page. This challenged me, challenged me to see other means of intellect than formal education. I understand now that there is no one way to go about freedom.

Moving forward, Ms. Truth, I hope we can be allies. It will take all we have to win this fight, and no one man can do it alone. I hope you know that I really do mean this. If I can be of any assistance to you, do let me know. I look forward to meeting again.

Sincerely,

Frederick Douglas

No comments:

Post a Comment