Monday, January 23, 2017

To my dearest Grannie (December 21, 1921 - January 23, 2017)

Dear Grannie,

I am so sorry that you had to endure to trials and tribulations because you were born a black woman in the 20th century. I’m taking this course called African American Women’s Live at school this quarter. I wish I would have called you and told you about what I have learned so far. In class, we’ve been discussing how you can't separate the racism and sexism that black women have had to face by living in America. If there was anyone who would understand that, I know it would have been you. You endured so much hate and suffering for something that should have been praised: being a beautiful black woman. And even though you could have let all the hate make you doubt yourself, you never did. Looking back at all my memories of you, your love was unwavering, your grace was effortless, and your will was mightier than any Chicago wind.

I am beginning to see the intersectionality (how black women don't really fit into the societal categories like being black or a woman but are a combination of both) in my life as a black woman too. For the longest time, I always saw myself as a black person and a woman rather than a black woman because it always felt like it was a double negative.

It has taken me awhile to recognize that being a black woman in America today should feel like a double positive. It means I come from a line of strong, resilient black women who not only endured slavery and racial discrimination, but endured gender discrimination as well. Now that I know more of what you and all the other generations of black women in our family had to live through over the last 400 years in America, I am honored to be black woman.

Rest in peace, Grannie.


Love always,


Ruthie

No comments:

Post a Comment