Sunday, January 15, 2017

To Elsa Barkley Brown (re "What Has Happened Here")

Dear Elsa Barkley Brown,
I love your idea that to truly understand, write, and contextualize the history of marginalized women, we must completely reconsider how we view history in general. Before reading your essay, I felt that I understood the ways in which standard historical narratives disregard or misconstrue Black (/Latina/Native/queer/impoverished/etc.) women’s histories – these women are belittled, or left out entirely; huge swaths of their identities are whitewashed and overlooked. However, your essay made me realize that this problem can never be fixed simply by including more and more diverse women into history textbooks. History as we tend to see it was invented by and for the powerful. So long as white men are writing history as “classical music” (302), the story of marginalized people will be incomplete at best. The field of women’s history cannot simply view women through the traditionally male framework – it must develop a different and more inclusive framework. Before I read your essay, I believed that our collective historical lens was focusing on the wrong people. I now understand that we are using the wrong camera entirely.
Sincerely,

Molly Culhane

No comments:

Post a Comment