Monday, January 30, 2017

Midterm essay ideas

1. One woman I would love to write a research paper on is my grandmother, Mary Lillian Williams. Introducing her on the first day of class really stirred me emotionally, because I had been asking my father and aunt a lot about her recently and regretted never talking to her directly about her life when she was alive. My sources would be mainly oral history. I would also look on some sort of ancestry website to see if that had any information. I don't see any problems with obtaining oral accounts, because my father and aunt would both be available for interview. But if there is no information on an ancestry website, I will try contacting the history bureau/department/office in my hometown Milwaukee and her hometown in Kentucky, and see if they could help at all.

2. I'm also very interested in researching Audre Lorde. I read her speech "The Uses of Anger" in my PWR class, and was moved to my core. It was full of ideas I have been thinking my entire life as a black woman, and hearing it told back to me was validating and powerful. As a writer and activist myself, I really love how Lorde used her words and poetry to combat her oppression. For primary sources, I could read a book of her poetry and look for "objective" information about her life during that time from newspaper articles, marriage records, etc., then make some evaluating claim after comparing and contrasting these two sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment