Monday, January 30, 2017

Margaret Douglass and Midterm topic

Dear Mrs. Margaret Douglass,

Hello, I hope this letter finds you well. In fact, I simply hope this letter finds you at all. After much searching I have found what I believe to be your place of residence, but it may be old information. I can only hoped you have not moved on from this location in Philadelphia. I have for years wanted to offer my sincerest gratitude for your teachings those many years ago. When I heard whispers that you were locked up for showing me a kindness I was truly heartbroken and felt extreme guilt for your jailing. I am eternally grateful for your teaching me to read and write, I do not know where I would be without these skills. Your teachings inspired me to continue reading and writing, mostly teaching myself and picking up lessons and books along the way from whomever was kind enough to give them to me. I remember I would read anything I could get my hands on. To this day the Bible is my favorite book and I can scarcely open it without thinking of you. Not only did your teachings encourage me to read and write, but strengthened my faith and resolve. I could not understand why it was legal to kill a slave, but illegal to teach him to write his own name. Now I know and have experienced the power of words and literacy! I see why the slaveholders were scared for their slaves to be learned, because it gives them power and encouragement. If a slave can read the Bible himself, he can point out the ways slavery is a direct act against God. We are all Gods children, why would the Lord want his children to be treated less than a wild dog? 
I was blessed with gaining freedom about two years ago and I am now living in Boston. I work as a seamstress and devote my spare time to teaching Colored adults and children to read and write. Perhaps we can arrange a visit as I would like to thank you in person.

Respectfully,
Kate

Midterm topics:

  • Sarah Parker Remond: was born in 1815 in Salem, Massachusetts  to a family of successful entrepreneurs. She made her first speech against slavery at age 16. She also did extensive work in England to gain support for the abolitionist movement there. If I chose to study her I may look at the importance and influence of international abolitionist sentiments on slavery in the U.S.
  • Susie King Taylor was active in the Civil War as a laundress in the same regiment her husband fought in. If I write about her I would look at the importance of the Black regiments as well as the role Black women played specifically. 

No comments:

Post a Comment