Monday, January 30, 2017

Dear Great-Great-Great Grandma Ellen,

I never had the chance to get to met you but the family is always talking about your bravery and how you basically got the family where it is today. I could only imagine the fear that probably controlled your every step. I could only imagine what it was like to hide your feminine features and have to take the control of the situation. You literally embodied how even today the black women is the one who is secretly in charge behind the scenes keeping everything together and doing what is best not from themselves but for everyone. I do not know how you had the courage to interact with the white people you met along the way or how you dealt with the pounding heartbeat on the train when you and paw paw was on the train and saw your friend. I am still amazed on how you were able to make it to the  north without being found. You basically became the person no one thought was possible. You became someone who embodied not only her blackness but a sense of whiteness and masculinity. Grandma Ellen you are everything that I someday wish be. I know I am a black women but hopefully through the stories I continue to hear about you I can really discover what it means to be a black women.
Your Inspired Great-Great-Great Granddaughter,
Juila 

No comments:

Post a Comment