Monday, January 30, 2017

response to Running a Thousand Miles for Freedom

Cotton field demands

Chains wrapped around quivering sun burnt hands
I pray every night for a merciful soul
Am I nothing but cotton field demands

Mother cries now because she understands
That ripe beautiful girls must pay a toll
With chains wrapped around quivering burnt hands

Father barricades doors fighting commands
But white bodies will continue their role
Am I nothing but cotton field demands

Bent over cotton seeds I see him stand
I love, I love a man as dark as coal
Who has chains wrapped around quivering hands

But love cannot prevail in these badlands
Cut off all your hair, in disguise we stroll
Must I be nothing but cotton field demands

Skin as pale and tainted as the white sands
I am master, my lover a slave stole
And in these roles, to the north we expand
Without forced chains around sun burnt hands
We are much more than cotton field demands







No comments:

Post a Comment