Monday, February 13, 2017

Tate Burwell Midterm Source

For my midterm paper I will be examining the relationship between Sally Hemings and Thomas Jefferson, and the primary source I will be focusing on is the memoirs of their son Madison Hemings. To get at the nature of the relationship, I am focusing on one passage in particular that outlines the beginning of the relationship, and what the origins meant for the nature of their relationship. I will be supplementing my analysis of that passage with my analysis of a passage that details the children's childhood, which might shed some light onto how Jefferson treated Hemings. I will also look at other accounts of the time, such as allusions made in letter written by John Adams, and analyzing claims made in a letter written by Henry Randall.

No comments:

Post a Comment