Monday, February 6, 2017

Why not dance?

Dear Henry Proctor, Lugenia Hope, and other critics of dance hall,

Why police your own people? As if the white people don't do it for us. Hmm. I work nearly 12 hours, at least six days a week, at that forsaken Al's laundromat, yet I am immoral for spending my Saturday night dancing at Reggie's on 5th? Now, I appreciate your work with Neighborhood Union and churches; you've brought many of us closer together, helped my brother-in-law find a job, and even helped me out when my own child was sick at one of your clinics. However, you will not control my body. Mr. Al already emphasizes to me and my friends at the laundromat not to dance too much, not over-exhaust ourselves, how precious labor we are..etc. He don't own me. I've been freed from slavery, and last I checked, I own myself. Dancing relieves the pain in my head when I think of  my family's small apartment with over seven people. Dancing allows me to feel graceful and strong despite my calloused hands and aching back from working as long I've been. Dancing connects me to the band's soulful blues that articulates my feelings of being free from Tennessee yet still chained in Atlanta, which I cannot express into words.

My dancing is not immoral or connected to my vices; its my own sliver of freedom. I take pride in what I accomplish in taking care of my family and I'm not compromising how I spend my time away from them; as if I am lowering my own people!  You and I both know that is not true. You in middle class dance your own dance; let us dance ours.

Sincerely,

Dancer by night

No comments:

Post a Comment