Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Dear Jane Edna Hunter

Dear Ms. Hunter,

I am extremely grateful to have come across your help, and to have had the chance to live in the Phyllis Wheatley house. I know how everything is stacked against us out there, and having spaces like that for us run by one of us is something that I recognize is necessary for our safety.  However, I also feel restrained by this specific environment. I have friends that live elsewhere that you sometimes look down upon. They dance, sing, spend time out, and I am in here and unable to fully explore the aspects of life that I have not yet experienced. I can only dance in my room when no one else is there, behind a closed door. But dancing is what brings a smile to my face. And I don't want to do it just to find a man or to show off. Its just for me. And because I want to dance and to move around, and because I am in this city and still haven't done it yet, I have to take the time now before its too late.

With love,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment