Monday, February 6, 2017

To the newly freed women in the New South

I admire you all more than words can say.

You not only hastened the abolition of slavery with your acts of resistance, but you also looked upon a country that felt it owed you nothing and was still bent on your destruction with your head held high and your heart full of dreams. You became the driving force of protests and community organization afterwards by realizing that your oppressors needed your skills way more than you needed their begrudgingly-given low wages. You became cultural trendsetters immediately, and that tradition still carries on today.

Your accomplishments inspire me every day not to root my worth in the way my oppressors view me. I feel free because you fought for our freedom.

Much love,
Natalie Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment