Monday, February 20, 2017

Dear Ms. Kellor,

I found your three recommendations to make Black women more respectable very...interesting. Why did you choose to focus on Black women? I was also wondering how you came up with these proposals in particular. I have a couple questions and suggestions:

First, I was a little confused by what you meant by the "practical and sympathetic women" on Ellis Island. I thought many immigrants who came through Ellis Island were subjected to terrible conditions, unsafe and humiliating medical examinations, and eugenics-based sorting and deportation. Is this what you meant by practical? Maybe we also have different definitions of sympathetic. After all, I was born quite a bit later than you, so our English could be different. Perhaps you can come up with an alternative suggestion, one that allows Black women to empower themselves. Perhaps Black women who have already established themselves in the North can give input on what they think would be a helpful program for welcoming in new migrants.

For your second proposal, I was wondering why you chose to regulate Black women to prevent improper sexual relations and miscegenation. If we really want to create an effective policy, I think that white men, who often frequent brothels, should also be under house arrest between the hours of 9 pm and 6 am. Regulating both parties seems to make much more sense; there are bound to be people who slip through the cracks, so regulating both sides seems to have a much higher chance of success. What do you think?

Finally, for your third proposal of fixing the problem that Black women have of wanting to avoid hard work, I'm wondering what you see as the difference between Black and white women. I mean, white women seem pretty lazy to me. They don't work, they hire people to take care of their house and kids, and I'm not really sure what else they do. Maybe they should also take a class in efficiency, because it seems they don't really know how to use their time wisely either. Please correct me if you have some information I'm not considering, but I really think there are policies that would be more effective than the ones you suggested.

Please look over my suggestions and I look forward to hearing your comments. I'm sure you want to improve the lives of all people, Black, white, man, and woman, just as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment