Sunday, February 5, 2017

A Letter from a Newly Freed Black Woman (RE "To 'Joy My Freedom" By: Tear Hunter

Dear Reader,


I’ve got close to no possessions.  I live in a hut meant for two people with my family of eight.  I fear sexual abuse from my boss.  I wonder which one of my innocent family members the KKK will get next.  I am overworked and underpaid.  I am in a constant struggle to make ends meet.


Despite all of this, I celebrate.


I celebrate the end of the most wretched institution known to existence.  I celebrate not having to worry about my child sold away of me.  I celebrate the chance to own my existence.  But, most of all, I celebrate that we have done this.  We have shown resistance, and we have finally been rewarded.  We have trusted in God, and He has finally answered our prayers.  We fought against all odds and triumphed, demonstrating our intelligence, perseverance, and strength.  Our potential is infinite, and we are just getting started.  


Sincerely,


Newly Freed Black Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment