Monday, February 6, 2017

A Call to Change

Dear Sisters,

There has been so much talk about the era of reconstruction and the dawn of the New South, a south that is supposed to fully embrace the American dream for all people. Yet, you and I both know that America has yet to maintain a promise to black people and that the deliverance and redemption promised in the South may never reach our households. I watch and stand with you as our children suffer from starvation, under-resourced education, and the inactivity of the Atlanta municipal government. It's become evident that we must take our destiny into our own hands to ensure that our people, from the elderly down to the newborn babe, have a quality of life that's worth living.

I am writing to you all because I believe the greater salvation of our people lies in the hands of the women of our community. We hold the greatest diversity of experiences, and if we choose to unite, we can transform the black race one home at a time. I encourage each of you to gather and get to know your neighbors and coworkers and join me in this social revolution. I understand that it may seem difficult to embark upon a journey to save our people when it seems as if we can't save our own individual households. However, we fail to remember that each of our lives is unique and has the ability to fill in the gaps of those around us.

Please join me in taking charge of our futures as we consider one of the greatest teachings in the Bible, "to love thy neighbor as thyself." My vision is not simply my vision, but our key to creating autonomy in our communities, solving problems that the white man simply can never understand, and taking charge to restore our God-given rights and sense of morality.

I hope that you will be bold and vigilant as we work in the need of our community.

With Love,

Lugenia Burns Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment