Monday, February 13, 2017

Bury me in the freeland -- Frances Harper

Ry Walker-Hartshorn
African American Women’s Lives
Professor Hobbs
February 12, 2017
Blog Post #4: Midterm Topic
            For my midterm project my primary source with by France’s Harper’s poem, Bury me in the Freeland. I reviewed a lot of Harper’s poems but this one spoke to me the most. I think her language and the imagery she evokes is powerfully captivating and I believe she inserts a lot of her own emotions in the form of fear, empathy and compassion into this poem. While I am still figuring out exactly what I want to argue, I did find her final three stanzas to be particularly interesting to me. In these stanzas she describes her own feelings and thoughts about the idea of being laid to rest next in a land of slaves. She is seemingly disturbed by this possibility, and as a free black woman born and living in Baltimore, Maryland I think it is necessary to analyze her perception of life in the south through this poem. Also, for my secondary source I will most likely be using chapter four of Hazel Carby’s Reconstructing Womanhood: The Emergence of the Afro-American Woman Novelist. I will need to research additional secondary sources and will cite them accordingly. Lastly, if I have time and space I may potentially bring in Abel Meeropol’s poem Strange Fruit and compare and contrast it to Bury Me in the Freeland.

No comments:

Post a Comment