Sunday, March 5, 2017

To My Young Activists

To My Young Activists:

I know the charisma surrounding a leader like Dr. King is powerful--his eloquent speech, his ability to captivate and enchant. But you must not let his power strip you of yours. He may have the power of the pen and the press, but you have the power of experience.

I repeat: you have the power of experience. You also have the fresh perspective and youthful idealism that we need. You know your communities thoroughly. You have connections to the people. You know better than any outside leader the woven fibers that compile the complex quilt of your communities--the subtleties and motivations of that fabric. In your fight for justice, you must not underestimate the potential of the seemingly poorest, for they may have the greatest wealth.

It's much too easy to fall into the trap of praying for a messiah indefinitely, all the while time slips through your fingers--fingers that could have been taking meaningful strides at change.
Look at the Fayette County Civic and Welfare League--a group that emerged from the trenches of poverty and injustice. Yet in their steadfast determination and unity, they have triumphed.

I urge you to persevere and not let your age or "status" discourage you. Persevere in your potential, your determination, your strength, and in your leadership.

Sincerely,
Ella Baker

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mrs. Ella Baker,

    Thank you for your words of encouragement. I appreciate your acknowledgment of the experiences I have gone through, and their value to activism. While you have made me realize the unique perspective and the invaluable gifts that I bring to this movement, I am still left unsure on how to use these experiences to my advantage, and to the advantage to the movement at large.

    The things I have gone through in my short life have been demoralizing, to say the least. I began work far too early, I have worked far too much, and I have been paid far, far too little. I have been sexually abused, denied basic rights, treated as a subhuman. I am outraged, and although I understand that I need to harness this outrage and use it to my advantage, I am unsure of how.

    I am told that the most successful activism is nonviolent, but I wonder how it is that I am supposed to stay peaceful in the face of my utter outrage. If I become violent, will I hurt the movement as a whole, confirming stereotypes of our people?

    Please help me find answers, Mrs. Baker, and I will promise that I won't stop fighting until the battle is over.

    Sincerely,
    Aspiring Young Activist

    ReplyDelete