Monday, March 13, 2017

Questions for Ethel Waters

Dear Ms. Waters,

I recently saw a musical biography of your life, and I was so impressed by your courage, perseverance, and spine! I so admire your determination and strong sense of self throughout all of your life.

I had a few questions about your life, mainly because I am wondering about these themes myself. When you found a loving husband, Eddie, why didn't you try living with him for a while? How did you know that that relationship wouldn't fulfill you or was right for you at the time, even if you balanced your work with your life with Eddie? Why were you so adamant about proving yourself and your career?

I also had a question about religion and meaning in your life. Did your relationship and your friendship with Eddie give you any meaning? What kind of meaning did your career give you? I understand that singing and performing gave you joy, but did it also bring you a sense of fulfillment? Also, in what way did your faith fulfill you, and why was faith such a central part of your life? I understand that these are very personal questions, so I very much understand if you do not wish to answer them. I think I am so impressed by your strong sense of self and confidence in your decision-making that I want to know the way you think and how you knew what was right and wrong for you, so I am sorry to be so blunt!

Once again, I so admire your courage, perseverance, and resilience. Thank you so much for being such an amazing and inspirational role model!

Sincerely,
Eliza Van Wye


No comments:

Post a Comment