Monday, March 13, 2017

To: Maiesha From: Tate


 
You said that you needed us in the audience on Sunday. I needed you. Your performance, and the larger opportunity to travel with my class; a diverse group of  black women, was exactly what I needed. As someone who has acted, and absolutely loves being a part of the theater. As a black woman from Atlanta. As a girl interested in the lives of the women who came before me. As all an amalgamation of all the things that make me, me: I have to thank you for your presence and your performance. I left our discussion with a full (not heavy) heart. While the play's writing was iffy at times, your performance never was. Your commitment, your dedication to your craft, your seemingly boundless energy, and, of course, your incredible talents in singing and acting truly told a story in a way that was honest, and real. I appreciated that you considered all of the complexities of the role, the writing, and the character, and your ability to reconcile them and be true to Ethel in the performance. Like I said, I needed that. You are an inspiration. It is so important to be validated. You provided all of us with that and I hope we were able to give that to you. I want you to know that I wanted to shout "sing it!" so many times during those musical numbers, they were honestly just so so good, but I didn't because of the largely white audience, and I can't imagine what that sort of cultural difference is like day in and day out. I don't know if I could do it honestly. To deliver such an emotionally exhausting and racially charged performance eight times a week, staring out at a sea of white faces, standing alone, is more than I can handle at the present moment. Living in a predominantly white freshman dorm is currently murdering my soul. This is part of the reason why Sunday was so important to me. I want to know how you maintain your sanity and find joy in the day to day. I want to know how you are dealing with the whiteness of Portland, and if playing Ethel has provided you with any new or helpful insights. And, again, I want to thank you just for being and existing and I especially want to thank you for creating and sharing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment