Tuesday, March 14, 2017

A Confused A Black Girl

    After watching His Eye on the Sparrow and reading Imani Perry's Prophets of The Hood I do not know where I stand in history as a black women in history or if there was ever really a place for within this history. I take pride in women like Ethel Waters who suffered through so much abusive but still managed to make through and speak her worth into existence. She made each and everyone of her decisions matter and I just don't know as a dark-skinned women in society I can be able to do the same. Yes there are movements that aimed to bring women of all skin tones togethers like the melanin movement but even within those movements you never see a "true" dark-skinned girl. When you look at hip-hop videos todays and before African-American women bodies are over sexualized and yes this exploitation of the bodies affect all African-American women but you never really see a dark-skin girl as the lead person in the video. After watching the play and thinking about hip-hop female rappers it made realize that even though African-American women are united and tend to work together there are parts of society that still attempt to keep us divided.
   As a dark-skin women myself and from learning about the history of other dark toned women like myself I believe there is a mindset within society that causes to have to work a step more than our fellow sister. There is more abusive suffered and more obstacles in our ways. Don't get me wrong I am not discrediting other African-American women and their struggles and triumphs. I am just saying there is a nuance difference within the common struggle we all share that cause people like myself to struggle a little more to find our place within the society and what being a women means for me not only within society but within our history as African American women,

-Tamara Morris 

No comments:

Post a Comment